Friday, July 15, 2005

realization and redemption songs

first off, to explain the title of my last post.

I bought a cd in the "world music" section of my favorite tower records that is awesome. I forget their names, cause the cd hasnt been out of my player long enough to not read the front, but its a compilation between a 85 year old cuban pianist and the worlds most famous spanish flamenco style singer. sin piedad "without mercy", is one of the best songs on the album, and i wish i could transfer the emotion of that man's voice to any other medium. its a shame the mediums are so hard to mix well. thats why movies are so great, but i digress. anyway, great music. if anybody wants more info, i can supply it on request.

I have been writing and journaling a lot these past few weeks. hopefully it bleeds over into my blogging. the stuff im writing, though, seems very personal, and ive been hesitant to share it with anyone. It feels raw and unpolished, and very vulnerable. now, i know i havent figured out levity yet when it comes to writing on this blog, but this stuff seems even more dense than stuff in the past. maybe its time to change the template to something pastel.

I have always admired the way whitman united the poems of LOG into thematic sections (like "drum taps" and "calamus"). When the poem are combined within the parameters of a ruling theme the mindset of the author seems easier to access. the theme can tie together disparate images, and the poems within the section seem to take on a congruence that gives the work a real strength. I figured out what i have been writing recently has two seperate central themes: realization and redemption (or reconciliation). They feel like songs, or like chants, and some of them even feel like mantras. you know how much i love repetition. anyway, i will begin to post a few here. here is the first of the realization poems:

Patrochlus

Which sirens were you chasing?
In the dripping daylight
Upon what precipice did you hope to meet them?
Which arms were you opening?
And whose voice left your lungs and screamed against the wind?
It was only a wind because of your speed against it.
Why so intent?
Patrochlus—oh my rider.

It’s not your armor.
And the rising sound from the wall
Is not your war.
Patrochlus, I love you like a brother.
Don’t be strong.
Or brave,
Or single-handed
Stay back by the fast black ships and wait.
Oh Patrochlus—oh my rider!


EG, you're on the clock. Special K, you too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

How 'bout the clock for commenting rather than posting my own? Ready, set...

I love what you said about collections of poetry. Beautifully expressed.

Also, I love:

"whose voice left your lungs and screamed against the wind"

it makes me breathe deeper.
more deeply.

July 16, 2005 at 10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home