Friday, December 16, 2005

about time

happy holidays everybody. Let me say about the previous post:

1) its been up long enough
2) i am grateful for all the comments recieved
3) some were frustrated that i had it "figured all out" and felt my post was haughty. Those who know me know any haughtiness is just misunderstood earnest.
4) i have learned so much since then. learning is fun. getting in contact with members of the community of suffering and joy is better than fun.

5) here is a rough draft of my first piece of new work in a long time.


a shadow

I mentioned once of little girls in a parade
Sitting on a float and looking like young mothers.
That is where I thought I’d left them, waving slowly
from the back of a pony drawn hay cart.

Now I must admit the little girls have followed me
From the fairgrounds in southern Alberta
Over the Going-to-the-Sun road
And south into the Montana summer,
Flush with huckleberries.

Their pony must have mistaken my overloaded bicycle
For a lost mate--
If such a story can be believed.
I should turn to ask him “why the long face?”

Instead I keep on pedaling,
But I know they’re there, because in the evening
Their shadow catches me when I turn east.
The arms of it are still waving slowly.
I am sad. They must miss their young mothers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

hi friend. this poem is great in connection with the other one...

and stuff.

I'm terrible at commenting on poetry on blogs.

but I did post a blog of my very own.

k.

December 20, 2005 at 12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home